Monday, May 21, 2007

Great running books for women

I got into running somewhat seriously as a hobby and for regular cardiovascular exercise a little bit over a year ago. At the time, I was very new to running and didn't know much about its impact on my body (positive or negative) and best practices when training for races or how to maintain proper nutrition and form. I found the following books to be extremely helpful.

The Complete Book of Running for Women
Claire Kowalchik
Price: $10.88 (Amazon.com)

This book is like my bible. Ever since I developed a deeper love and addiction to running, I go back to this book time and again to answer my questions and keep me on a healthy, safe track to gaining all of the benefits of running. I would recommend it to any and every woman getting started in running.




Fast Track: Training and Nutrition Secrets from America's Top Female Runner
Suzy Favor-Hamilton
Price: $12.44 (Amazon.com)

This book is the next step to getting into running. It really focuses on helping you train for a race and also has a big focus on nutrition. Favor-Hamilton is a proponent of protein shakes and supplements that will help improve your performance, but she also makes excellent recommendations for meal plans and hydration that I still follow today. This is a must-read.

No comments: